Colleagues and Friends of Texas Health Freedom,
HB (House Bill) 91, which expands access to raw milk for all Texans, has been voted favorably out of the Texas House Public Health Committee and is headed for a vote on the House floor.
A copy of the bill is available in the Pages section to the left. The following information on HB 91 is provided courtesy of our allies at the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance (farmandranchfreedom.org):
Facts about HB 91:
* Would allow licensed farmers to sell raw milk at farmers’ markets and through delivery arrangements.
* Makes no other change to the existing health and safety regulations for raw milk that have been successful in protecting the public’s health in Texas.
* Sales will continue to be limited to direct-to-consumer transactions, as they are currently. The bill does not allow sales of raw milk in grocery stores.
Advantages to HB 91:
* Addresses the consumer demand for high-quality raw milk by making it available at farmers markets and through home delivery.
* Benefit rural economies because direct farm-to-consumer sales of raw milk can mean the difference between a net loss on the farm and a reasonable income for the farm family – which impacts the entire community.
* Improves the safety of raw milk by allowing producers to transport it to consumers under safe conditions.
* By allowing a producer to make a single trip to serve multiple customers, rather than having each customer drive to the farm, the bill reduces vehicle miles, thereby benefiting air quality, traffic congestion, and public safety.
Make your voice heard:
1. Find the contact information for your Texas state representative (not member of the US Congress!) by filling in the “Who Represents Me?” block in the upper left corner of this page. Scroll down to “Texas State Representative,” and find their capitol phone number (Austin, area code 512).
2. When you call their office, you can say something like this: “I am a constituent of Rep. (your rep’s last name). I am a strong supporter of HB 91, which expands access to raw milk for all Texans, and which will be voted on by the House shortly. Please ask Rep. (your rep’s last name) to vote YES on HB 91.”
Please take action today!
Thanks for your support of Texas Health Freedom,
Your Coalition Executive Committee
Filed under: Uncategorized