Colleagues and Friends of Texas Health Freedom,
The raw milk bill, House Bill (HB) 91, passed the Texas House with a strong bipartisan vote. Yet it seems to be stalled out in the Senate — rather than being assigned to the Health and Human Services Committee as expected, it hasn’t been sent to any committee.
We need your help to keep HB 91 moving, so that Texans can buy raw milk at farmers’ markets and through home delivery!
FACTS ABOUT HB 91
(Courtesy of our allies at the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance)
HB 91, by Representative Dan Flynn, would legalize the sale of raw milk by licensed farmers directly to consumers at farmers markets, and allow farmers and consumers to agree to delivery arrangements.
– Raw milk is already legal in Texas, but the regulations restrict sales to on-the-farm only. This marketing restriction burdens both farmers and consumers.
– Only 6 illnesses have been reported linked to raw milk in Texas in the last 17 years, out of an estimated ¾ million Texans who drink raw milk
– Texas Grade A Raw for Retail dairies IS subject to regulations that meet or exceed all regulatory standards for pasteurized milk.
– HB 91 simply allows licensed farmers to sell raw milk at farmers’ markets and through delivery arrangements. Sales are limited to direct farm-to-consumer and will NOT be allowed in grocery stores.
– HB 91 improves the safety of raw dairy by allowing producers to transport it to consumers under safe conditions, rather than relying on consumers to remember to take coolers and ice.
– HB 91 benefits rural economies because direct farm-to-consumer sales of raw milk can mean the difference between a net loss on the farm and a reasonable income for the farm family.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP
1. Call your State Senator to urge him or her to support HB 91 by getting it assigned to a committee for hearing. You can find out who your Texas State Senator is by filling in “Who Represents Me?” at the top left of this home page. Scroll down to Texas State Senator (NOT US Senator!). Call their capitol office (Austin, area code 512).
2. When you call, tell the staffer who answers the phone something like this: “Hi, my name is ____, and I am a constituent of Senator (your state senator’s last name). I am calling to him/her to support HB 91, the raw milk bill, by asking that it be assigned to a committee for a hearing.”
3. Call Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, President of the Texas Senate, and urge him to move HB 91 forward as quickly as possible by assigning it to a committee for a hearing. The phone number is 512-463-0001. You may modify the message above for this call also.
4. Call the Chair of the Health & Human Services Committee, Senator Charles Schwertner, and urge him to support HB 91 and set it for a hearing as quickly as possible. The committee’s phone number is 512-463-0360.
Please take action today!
Thanks for your support of Texas Health Freedom,
Your Coalition Executive Committee
Filed under: Uncategorized